CREST CAChE Discovery 1 & 2 courses provide undergraduate students with the opportunity to gain authentic research experience in CAChE topics, in order to evaluate their interest in pursuing degrees and explore the wide range of careers options in related fields. Both are free and 1-credit courses, offered in Fall and Spring semesters.
CAChE Discovery 1: Research in Aquatic Ecosystems
Undergraduate students across all STEM disciplines to explore topics on ecotoxicology and aquatic chemistry.
- Discuss environmental issues impacting local aquatic ecosystems in South Florida.
- Become familiar with a range of datasets and learn how to approach, analyze, and derive meaning from locally/regionally relevant data.
- Apply analytical techniques and technological/computer skills to propose and formulate practical solutions to problems related to water quality.
- Effectively communicate research findings to classmates and local stakeholders through poster presentations.
- Gain experience with scientific research in CAChE topics and learn about opportunities in degrees and careers in related fields.
- Experience first-hand the challenges and rewards that scientists may encounter throughout their careers.
CAChE Discovery 2: Professional Pathway in Aquatic and Environmental Science
Undergraduate students who are interested in learning about the many pathways to exciting careers in science.
- Experience writing grant/fellowships proposals and applications for future work in STEM.
- Improve written and oral communication skills, particularly involving scientific topics.
- Enhance understanding of graduate-level environmental research and impacts on society.
- Gain experience presenting relevant scientific information to local communities.
- Students will work with faculty and graduate mentors to gain confidence in writing competitive applications, crafting strong resumes, and discovering career options.
- CAChE Discovery 2 helps guide students to carve their own pathway to professional work in STEM fields.